While we continue with the Cult 2 Shocking similarities with Jehovah Witnesses, we will make an effort to see how this cult functions.
They a notorious Christian cult, which is much larger than TPM, but similar to it, in its origin, and expansion strategies.
There is a pattern repeated in the natural world around us. Bible teaches is the following
4 One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh: but the earth abideth forever.
5 The sun also ariseth, and the sun goeth down, and hasteth to his place where he arose.
6 The wind goeth toward the south, and turneth about unto the north; it whirleth about continually, and the wind returneth again according to his circuits.
7 All the rivers run into the sea; yet the sea is not full; unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again.
8 All things are full of labour; man cannot utter it: the eye is not satisfied with seeing, nor the ear filled with hearing.
9 The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.Eccl 1:4-9
The Pattern Spreads to the Spiritual Realm
Similar to the above, there is a pattern in the spiritual world too. Peter writes, “But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction” (2 Peter 2:1).
Therefore we can say that there is a pattern in the world around us. This is true for cults also. This article, “Cult 2 Shocking similarities with Jehovah Witnesses” will deal with some facets of the same. All false religion has a similar pattern of operation. The pattern repeats with slight variations. When we study cults, we actually study the pattern in which they live and operate. When we learn to identify these patterns, then it helps us to detect and identify them. Last time, we showed you the way the Brahma Kumari cult operated. We showed you their resemblance to TPM. Let us have a quick revision before we move to the next cult.
- BK was founded on the special divine manifestation of God to Lekhraj Kripalani (Like TPM was founded upon so-called divine revelation to Paul Ramankutty).
- Their teaching is similar to TPM, concerning an elite group of 9 lakh BK’s, occupying the highest position in age to come (144,000 in case of TPM).
- They teach their members to avoid contacting Non-BK member (Life of separation in case of TPM)
- They have a pyramid administrative structure. Few top bosses controlling the rest of the followers, just as it is in TPM.
- They also had white uniforms (outward pretence of life of renunciation)
- Their daily time table is fixed, starting with meditation at 4 a.m. morning
- We have multiple reports of internal abuses and scandals in BK just like in TPM.
The History of Jehovah’s Witnesses
In 1870, a young man named Charles T. Russell attended one of the meetings of the Adventists, who preached concerning the second coming of Jesus. These teachings inspired him to make his own theology. So Russell started his own version of second coming of Jesus, by predicting Christ would return on earth in 1873/1874, however with an invisible presence. He started Watchtower Bible society and international bible student Association (IBSA). Today this group has more than 8 million followers.
They are notoriously famous for their heretical teaching that rejects the divinity of Jesus Christ. They teach Jesus is a created being. They believe that Jesus was resurrected spiritually, without a physical body. They believe that Jesus was not crucified on a Cross, but to a stake. They also teach that presently we are living in the millennial reign of Jesus, which began in 1914. According to them, six days of ‘1000 years each’ are over since Adam’s creation, and we are the midst of the final 7th day which began in the year 1914. They also have their bible translation which goes by New World Translation.
Similarities with TPM
- Like TPM, JW’s believe that elite 144,000 chosen members of their group will occupy top most ruling thrones in eternity. Those who are not part of 144000 Zionists will spend their eternity in lower category paradise (categorization in eternity).
- As TPM, JW requires their followers to avoid reading any other Christian literature, except that which is published by Watchtower society. A JW member cannot attend any other church meeting. They proclaim that only JW is the only true church of God. They maintain fellowship with only JW and no other. They cannot attend the wedding or funeral of Non-JW member just like in TPM. They are warned not to search Jehovah Witness on the internet but advised to go to their website only which is JW.org (Like TPM’s life of separation).
- Further, as in TPM, many people die because of rejection of medicine, so is use of medicine restricted among JWs, the cause of many of JW members! Their doctrines restrict medical procedures that involve blood transfusion, or medical products derived from blood or its component. A JW member cannot take vaccine that has albumin in it. It is estimated that 3-4 JW member die every day because of rules their related to medical treatment (Divine Healing).
- Like TPM, they also have many Do’s and Don’ts to control the lives of people (work-based religion). A male member cannot grow a facial beard. Women cannot wear pants. No Birthday, no Christmas, no Easter is allowed for JW member. They cannot throw rice or confetti at JW wedding ceremony. No voting in a political election is allowed. Boys cannot join Scouts and girls cannot join Girls guides. No questions allowed to superiors (governing body). A JW cannot choose carrier as police officer, civil judge, actor, musician, sports. A JW cannot attend wedding/funeral of non JW members. They are required to attend all brainwashing meetings (more of their rules here and here). (Rules and Regulations).
- Just as TPM workers do visit from door to door, for expanding TPM kingdom, so are JW members required to spend two hours daily, expanding JW kingdom, by visiting door to door [c.f. Luke 10:7] (Expanding their own kingdom- Visiting)
- As in TPM, we have three chiefs, considered as appointed by God as the final decision maker for good and bad of people, so also JW community has a governing body of eight people who are considered as appointed by God as decision-makers.
- As the ex-member of any cult needs rehabilitation and care for recovery, so is the case with those coming out of the cult of Jehovah Witness! A person coming out JW is so brainwashed that he has to unlearn all the nonsense he had been taught in order to become a normal Christian. Those quitting JW fellowship are considered as a backslider and disfellowshipped.
- Most Christians would call their fellowship building as Church. However, the Jehovah’s witness does not like to call it as a church. They call it as Kingdom Hall just as how TPM calls their building as Faith Homes.
Unwritten Rules of JW similar to TPM
- As with TPM, Sexual Abuse by elders are hushed up and the victim is punished or excommunicated. Sexual abuses are often occurrence. Most of the time, it involves minors
- If a complaint is lodged against an elder for sexual abuse, a judicial committee is set up and the victim is called before a committee in which they exonerate the abuser and warn the victim against putting false accusations on the elder. This is very similar to TPM and the latest being the Joshua case where he is exonerated after a farce investigation whereas Joash was sentenced to eviction and Excommunication**. Victim shaming is quite a normal thing among Jehovah witnesses as is with TPM. It works in Mafia pattern as we see with Abraham Mathew and co in TPM. Elders can commit NO SIN. The Elders are called as “SAINTS” as is done in TPM.
- They keep inventing new rules and call it New light or New Revelation to thrust and control their people.
- They do not consider other Christians as True Christians. They teach that other Christians are fallen and occupy a very low level in eternity as is with the NEW EARTH positioning we see in TPM.
- Just like TPM, they also have a great fondness for conventions. The purpose of the conventions is to make money and exert control over the laity.
- As is with TPM, bullying in the name of God(Jehovah) and Curses on people for confronting the Elders is quite a mind-control with the JWs.
- Shunning by family and friends of the people who quit the cult. Just as TPMers shun those who quit the cult and spin slanderous stories against the one who quit, the same pattern happens with the Jehovah’s witness community. They call this as Disfellowshipping. This disfellowshipping also happens after a farce investigation by the judicial committee.
The below educational video can give you an insight of how the Judicial committee works.
TPM is more cunningly deceptive than Jehovah’s Witness. However, a serious student of the bible and Christian community will soon identify the cult of TPM. May God open eyes of those who are trapped in various cults, including the cult of TPM!
Though there are many more resources available, I would leave you with this documentary.
End of “Cult 2 Shocking similarities with Jehovah Witnesses“
** As per the latest report, the eviction order of Joash was set aside by the Singapore courts proving that the eviction is unjust even by the eyes of the judges of the world.