This is one main question that many of our readers have been asking. Some ask with the expectation that we will pop up a name and then they can try to compare with TPM on superficial behaviours. Some genuinely ask to get to know which is a better place than TPM. Such questions come up because they have been fed with the notion that TPM is the best church. As many of you know, the answer is not going to be what they have expected. So let us jump straight into the topic. Though we had addressed this at a different level earlier, we would like to address the cause behind such thinking.
Problem with the Human Mind
We are living in a very competitive and commercial world where we tend to compare between entities. Once we have compared those entities, we choose the best and the most affordable ones. For eg. If an Engineering student gets an entry into the IIT after successfully getting through the JEE, they look at different options. They start toying with the Idea of which IIT should they join (Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, etc). If they do not get their preferred streams in the institution of their choice, what would be their next best bet? This is how the human brain works. Therefore, they think that organizations registered as Churches (or societies) are also in the same way.
In fact, TPM promotes this thinking. They almost guarantee a problem-free ticket to the next world. In many of their sermons, they keep comparing with the other churches. The prescribed fees are tithes and offerings. They need to combine these fees with many other mundane rigours to cross the great divide. Naturally, after reading our articles many feel they have been duped by TPM all these years. They are ready to offload themselves from this sinking ship.
Living with a Flawed thought
After the protestant reformation, came some obvious evils. One of that is the misunderstanding of “What is a Church”. The last few centuries witnessed organizations mushrooming all over the world, based on perceived doctrinal differences. Each of them calling themselves as “Church”. In reality, these were basically clubs, running the business of religion. According to me, if you rename these organizations as Clubs, instead of Churches, you will understand the truth better. Telling someone that TPM is better than CSI is just like telling Lion’s club is better than the Rotary club.
As long as you perceive that these religious clubs are churches, you will continue to ask the question of “Which Church should I go to?“. Such a notion of the Church is flawed and will keep you under the bondage of ignorance.
Cause for the flawed thought
The cause of this kind of a flawed thought is called CARNALITY. When you are injected with carnality in all walks of your life, you will end up a carnal person. The so-called consecrated servants are the worst cases of carnal people,
For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal and walk as men? 1 Cor
But the natural man receiveth, not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know [them], because they are spiritually discerned. 1 Cor 2:14.
Some Examples of carnality within TPM.
- I have heard many instances where these white clads have mentioned that a person was so humble that God promoted him to be the chief pastor of the church. Did you note how the organizational promotion in TPM is considered as God’s approval and happiness over a person?
- Whenever a TPM Clergy is transferred to some remote place with hardships, others who were not in good terms with him consider this as God’s chastisement.
- The Very frequent prophecies that evoke vengeance with other humans are very evident. Some of them are like “No Weapon Formed against you Shall Prosper“, “You shall be the head and not the tail“. “You will pursue your enemies“, “If God is for us who can be against us?” Obviously, our TPM Fanatics will spiritualize these prophecies, but we all know what is the outcome.
- The Often boasted quote of being the “Best Church“. The so-called consecration which is asceticism is considered as a reason for special acceptability before God. Such an attitude is in direct violation of 2 Cor 10: 12. “We do not dare to classify or compare ourselves with some who commend themselves. When they measure themselves by themselves and compare themselves with themselves, they are not wise.”
By this article, we are not trying to accuse you of any wrongdoing. We understand your point and concern. Our Natural mind thinks God to be an extension of our own imaginations of him. This thinking is subtly solidifying within us by our observation of the white-clad clergy we see very often. However, God is not somebody who can be boxed into your carnal thinking. In the same way, your understanding of the Church of God should be redefined in the way God defines, rather than following our limited understanding. I would like to close this part with three questions for your own meditation.
- Which Church Did Abraham go to?
- Which Church did Enoch attend, before being Raptured?
- Why did not Jesus commend the temple/synagogue attendance and Zeal of the Levite and the Priest(Possibly to attend the temple service), but commended the actions of the Good Samaritan?
An interesting chart on how people are boxed within denominations.