One thing which has always amused me is the typical response of most TPM Believers. When confronted with the glaring opposition to scriptures, they take refuge in some statements which mean like this.
“We should never look at the saints as they have certain failings. We should always look at Jesus ONLY.”
Though this sentence sounds very nice to hear, what they truly mean is something like this.
“Don’t bother to wake us up with these facts, we will continue in our own TPM ways. Our Ministers are the closest to Jesus“.
When a standard TPM Believer says the above sentence, he has this notion that Jesus would teach and practice what TPM Pastors do.
This is the beginning of a series of articles which contrast TPM’s Teachings and Practices with that of Jesus. We have the record of the life of Jesus and his apostles in our possession. Therefore, we should make use of those to evaluate TPM’s interpretation of certain scriptures.
Remember that there is ONLY ONE WAY and that Way is Jesus. It’s not Paul, Peter or John. When Thomas asked for the way, Jesus made it clear that HE IS THE WAY.
5 Thomas said to him, “Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?” 6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. John 14:5-6
By saying he is the ONLY WAY, he is saying that HIS LIFE WHICH HE LIVED is the only standard to reach the Father. His Standard is the way of the Cross. By Cross, I mean the relationship with God (The Vertical beam) and relationship with Man (The Horizontal Beam). This same standard is reiterated in his two commandments.
35 One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: 36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[c] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbour as yourself.’[d] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” Matt 22:35-40
We are also expected to carry our own Cross and live life exactly as the Lord showed us.
24 Then Jesus told his disciples, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. Matt 16:24
Jesus’ Holiness vs TPM’s Holiness
Almost all TPM Ministers and Believers have a notion of Holiness that is alien to the scriptures. But before we come to the TPM standard, let us check what Jesus and his Apostles meant by Holiness.
“Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God” Matthew 5:8
Make every effort to live in peace with everyone and to be holy; without holiness, no one will see the Lord. Heb 12:14
Now combine both these aspects and you will realize that there is only One way to see God and that is Purity of heart which is also called Holiness.
Holiness is also an aspect which has to be measured against the Cross (Relationship with God and Relationship with Fellow humans).
Jesus considered the Holiness of your heart ONLY and not an externality.
Being pure in the heart involves having a singleness of heart toward God. A pure heart has no hypocrisy, no guile, no hidden motives. The pure heart is marked by transparency and an uncompromising desire to please God in all things. It is not an external purity; it is internal purity.
Jesus’ Holiness never had a problem with his association with Sinners. His holiness did not get corrupted by others but he could save them from their sins.
15 While Jesus was having dinner at Levi’s house, many tax collectors and sinners were eating with him and his disciples, for there were many who followed him. 16 When the teachers of the law who were Pharisees saw him eating with the sinners and tax collectors, they asked his disciples: “Why does he eat with tax collectors and sinners?”
17 On hearing this, Jesus said to them, “It is not healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.” Mark 2:15-17
Holiness will be evident from a person’s behaviour with others.
11 it is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but what comes out of the mouth; this defiles a person.” 18 But what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this defiles a person. 19 For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false witness, slander. 20 These are what defile a person. Matt 15:11,18-20
15 But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; 16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy. 1 Pet 1:15-16
- Holiness has nothing to do with external appearance, It is Purity in Heart.
- Your Holiness cannot be defiled by your association with Sinners.
- Your Words and actions/behaviour can be evidence of your holiness within.
- You cannot be defiled by what you consume through your mouth
- Holiness is not corrupted by having sex with your spouse as that would disqualify Peter who says holiness is all about conversation/behaviour.
Now that we know what is Jesus’s Holiness standard, let us evaluate TPM’s Holiness standard.
- Wearing White clothes to show their holiness. They abhor any other coloured clothes and that is evident from their behaviour. It can also be seen in the testimony of Lilyan where they accused her of being the daughter of Satan for her clothes colour. This happens because there is no ingenuity and have to replace that with white clothes. Ignorant people can be deceived by such outward appearance but God weighs the hearts. “The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” (1 Samuel 16:7). As holiness is purity of heart, any outward appearance change to show holiness, can only be categorized as deceit. Nothing more.
- Complete separation from the people of the World. TPM pastors think Jesus was a mistake that he mingled with the sinners. These hypocrites get mad when you attend a wedding or any function of your friends belonging to another religion. They frown upon your association with people wearing jewels and attending a party. They think all such associations are immoral. They even go to the extent of misquoting the scriptures to blind their believers. They quote from 2 Cor 6:14-17 (Std VIII Lesson 15) to mislead the people. The passage is about getting married to unbelievers. By such actions, they are trying to be holier than Jesus(John 17:15) and Paul(1 Cor 5:10) and also assume that God is powerless to keep you. Such a stand also goes against Jesus’s command that we are the salt of the earth(Matt 5:13). A salt which does not mingle with food is useless. What TPM Doctrine does is, keeping the salt in the saltshaker forever,
- Some actions and behaviour which none of us misses is the arrogance of TPM Ministers and the way they treat their believers. They always consider them as substandard to them. In many of their sermons, they speak very highly of themselves and their so-called consecration and compare it with other ministers in a very disparaging way. This self-exaltation and superiority complex is manifested in their Pastor’s Kitchen, seating positions, Gradings based on country of origin, Racial undertones, Partiality between the rich and the poor, Building projects, Land acquisition etc.
- TPM has this doctrine of Divine healing which says that you will be defiled if you take medicine. This is quite contrary to Jesus’s statement in Matt 15:11,18-20. TPM ministers preach that people who consume medicines will not be transformed if you take medicine. However, I am sure that they themselves do not believe it as they take medicines secretly and some even inject medicines into their bodies.
- Another doctrine of TPM is that having sex is a cause for defilement. That is the reason they have this twisted understanding of Rev 14. In the process of establishing their Rev 14 doctrine, they have gone to the extent of taking Doctrines of Demons(1 Tim 4:1,3) and violating God’s commandment of not separating the ones that God has Joined (Mark 10:9). They use these twisted interpretations to sing praises to themselves. The Reason these people are claiming to see God’s face is that of their consecration of not having done sex. They are not at all worried about the impure minds they own and cultivated.
As read in the above sections, the Holiness of TPM is very much contrary to the Holiness of Jesus and his apostles. So what goes contrary to Jesus and his teachings? Please answer for yourself.