The oft-quoted Spider-man quote has a universal truth. “With great power comes great responsibility“. The Levites were responsible to serve God in the Tabernacle on behalf of all Israelites. In the process, God ensured that the Levite is fed and helped by different laws including the Tithe. But as days went by, they started getting greedy and arrogant. They had this kind of feeling that God is in their pocket. And as with many modern preachers, they too thought that priesthood was a great business avenue.
Malachi is the last Book in the Old Testament. We see a huge gap of 440 years from Malachi till John the Baptist. From the time of Malachi, God stopped any interaction with the Children of Israel. The offerings of the Priests were disregarded by God. Let us examine the scenario which caused God to be upset with his people.
Table of Contents
Corruption by the Levitical Priesthood
In the very last prophetical book of the Old Testament, we see many important things revealed. One of that is the greed of the priests concerning the Tithe.
Whom is God addressing in the Book of Malachi?
If you would have read the book, you will not have had any ambiguity about it. But because you have not read it to understand it, the Pastor misuses a few verses from the third chapter of this book to bully you. Today is your last day of being bullied.
The Entire book of Malachi is addressed to the Priests. God is Cursing the Levitical Priests which TPM so gladly wants to imitate.
So the Next time your pastor takes the book of Malachi to manipulate you, show him the following from the same book.
Do you recollect a section of the last article where I had mentioned about the Tithe offering by the Levite? If you haven’t read it, Please click here and read the section under “What do the Levites and the Priests do with the Tithe?”
Contrary to a normal Israelite, the Levite and the Priests were mandated to ensure that their tithes they offer for themselves are of the best quality. They cannot offer up maimed, deaf, blind or any kind of defective tithe. However, the normal Israelite can offer a defective animal if it happens to be the 10th that passes under the rod. Therefore, It is safe to assume that few animals that were offered as tithe were defective. But it is not a sin for the Israelite.
Let us see what is God saying in the Book of Malachi to the Priests.
…………..“IT IS YOU PRIESTS who show contempt for my name.
“But you ask, ‘How have we shown contempt for your name?’ 7 “By offering defiled food on my altar. “But you ask, ‘How have we defiled you?’
“By saying that the Lord’s table is contemptible. 8 When you offer blind animals for sacrifice, is that not wrong? When you sacrifice lame or diseased animals, is that not wrong? Try offering them to your governor! Would he be pleased with you? Would he accept you?” says the Lord Almighty.
9 “Now plead with God to be gracious to us. With such offerings from your hands, will he accept you?”—says the Lord Almighty.
“When you bring injured, lame or diseased animals and offer them as sacrifices, should I accept them from your hands?” says the Lord.14 “Cursed is the cheat who has an acceptable male in his flock and vows to give it, but then sacrifices a blemished animal to the Lord. For I am a great king,” says the Lord Almighty, “and my name is to be feared among the nations. Malachi 1:13-14
“And now, YOU PRIESTS, this warning is for you. 2 If you do not listen and if you do not resolve to honour my name,” says the Lord Almighty, “I will send a curse on you, and I will curse your blessings. Yes, I have already cursed them, because you have not resolved to honour me. Malachi 2:1-2
Clergy, Stop the Manipulation
The cunning Priests and Levites shortchanged God. They took the nice animals for themselves and sacrificed the defective ones for God. That is the whole pretext of the book of Malachi. It is not addressed to a normal Israelite. It is addressed to the entire group of Levitical Priests of Israel.
This is the background for God pronouncing the curse of robbing God in Malachi 3:8-11
8 Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings. 9 Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation. 10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. 11 And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the Lord of hosts.
Though the Levitical priesthood is not applicable to Christians, the above verse is used by the wolves of TPM and other churches to manipulate the ignorant laity. They are not able to even see that the entire Malachi is God’s indictment of the Clergy or the Priestly class which was taking the people for a ride. In the Book of Malachi, God is mentioning the list of reasons to dump the Levitical Priesthood. Modern Clergy, juxtaposing themselves in the position of the Levitical Priest is manipulating the ignorant Laity trying to shift the blame and I blame the Laity for not reading the scriptures. The whole nation of Israel bears the brunt of allowing the clergy to operate in this way. The ones that represented the nation before God has gone corrupt.
God’s Solution to a Corrupted Priesthood
By the Book of Malachi, the Clergy system of Levitical Priesthood was done with. The covenant which we call the Old Covenant now was the only covenant during the days of Malachi. God drew a Full Stop to that and after that, he himself came to establish the new covenant sealed by his own blood.
- New Covenant is Established
- The first thing Jesus did by his sacrifice was the renting of the veil that divided the most holy place from the outside. The reason for the Levitical Priesthood to exist has to GO.
- At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook, the rocks split Matt 27:51
- 19 Therefore, brothers and sisters, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus, 20 by a new and living way opened for us through the curtain, that is, his body, Heb 10:19-20
- In the New Covenant, there is no more a Clergy Class. We all are priests unto God.
- But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light; 1 Peter 2:9
- And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen. Rev 1:6
- New Priesthood is established.
- If perfection could have been attained through the Levitical priesthood—and indeed the law given to the people established that priesthood—why was there still need for another priest to come, one in the order of Melchizedek, not in the order of Aaron? Heb 7:11
- For it is declared: “You are a priest forever in the order of Melchizedek.” Heb 7:17
- New Sacrifice system is established.
- Who needeth not daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifice, first for his own sins, and then for the people’s: for this he did once when he offered up himself. Heb 7:27
- Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God–this is your true and proper worship. Rom 12:1
- No More tithe in the new Priesthood. This is proved by the absence of any such ordinances in the New Testament Church. There is no Clergy in the New Testament to be the mediator for the Laity. All of us are priests unto God. Tithes and all sorts of Old Testament ordinances are done away with. The New Covenant is the Ministry of Love and not of the Law of the Old Testament.
In this article, we understood that
- The Entire book of Malachi was addressed to the Clergy of those days who showed contempt towards the Lord by their greed and arrogance.
- God cursed the clergy of the old testament for their actions, before removing them from the priesthood forever.
- The tithing verses often quoted by the Clergy is actually part of God’s condemnation of the Clergy and not of the general Laity.
- Any Clergy-Laity setup is susceptible to corruption and hence it had to be removed.
- God removed the old Levitical system and replaced it with the new covenant where all of us are priests and do not require any mediator other than the Lord Jesus Christ himself.
- Tithing of the Old Testament is therefore abolished in the New Covenant.
One of the most important parts of the New Covenant is the abolishing of the Old Testament Clergy-Laity arrangement. It is truly a satanic inspiration that almost the whole of Christendom is drifting towards that arrangement which God abolished at the Cross of Calvary.
Q. Why are people going against the New Covenant way?
A. Because these are people of unregenerate nature. They act like Christians but has no interest in following the new Life in Christ. The Bible teaches that because unregenerate man is “dead in transgressions” (Ephesians 2:5), he is held captive by a love for sin (John 3:19; John 8:34) so that he will not seek God (Romans 3:10-11) because he loves the darkness (John 3:19) and does not understand the things of God (1 Corinthians 2:14). Therefore, men suppress the truth of God in unrighteousness (Romans 1:18) and continue to willfully live in sin.
The Clergy is filled with lazy people who want to live on other men’s labours. Extortion is in their blood. You can decide for yourself.
Play the audio to hear Tamil Translation summary of the above article:
இந்த படிப்பினையை தமிழில் கேட்க கீழே கிளிக் செய்யவும்